The last we saw of Kyo, Terry, Mai and the gang was back in 2010 with King of Fighters XIII on the PS3 and Xbox 360. It stood with mix reviews, but the fan base held strong with a burning fist!
It’s now 2016 and the fighting game playing field is stronger than ever with entries from today’s biggest competitors like Mortal Kombat XL, Killer Instinct and ever flawed, and slowly getting better, Street Fighter V. KoFXIII stuck to its 2D roots and looked glorious on 1080p televisions! For fans, this was the future of 2D fighters.
Fast forward six years later and the team at Atlus have seen what their competitors have been up to and have stepped up their game. We only slightly say goodbye to the classic 2D look and enter a new age in the KoF history. Take a look for yourself!
Here are the top-line refinements for THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV:
- 3D Evolution: All 50 fighters, movesets and more are rendered in full 3D graphics that preserves the essence of KOF’s visual style but updates it with a whole new dimension.
- The Best Refinement since KOF ’98: Through extensive playtesting and balancing, the controls have been streamlined, and the Combo and Max Mode mechanics have been overhauled to create the most competitive fighter in SNK’s history.
- The KOF Saga Continues: There’s a robust single-player storyline where several years have passed since the previous KOF tournament. Now a worldwide business, the global KOF will decide who is the strongest as both individuals and companies with their own ambitions have come to compete. Players compete against CPU-controlled opponents to unlock the storyline.
- The Best Roster Yet: There are 50 fighters total, with 31 returning from previous entries into the KOF series, and 19 brand new characters. All 50 characters will be available at the game’s launch.
Here is our first look at the Steelbook as well as the PREMIUM edition!
The game will be $59.99/CA$79.99 at launch. Pre-orders and a limited number of launch editions will arrive in this special SteelBook® case. Plus, for the week following launch, the Classic Kyo costume DLC will be free to all players!
Revamped Online Experience: THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV has devoted a lot of development time to improving the game’s netcode for vastly improved online gameplay. KOF XIV uses the PS4’s online architecture to have a whole host of online conveniences, from spectating to saving replay/battle data, and having a single online KOF XIV profile to connect with friends.
Now, here’s what I’m excited for! The King of Fighters XIV “Burn to Fight” Premium Edition includes the following for $79.99/CA$99.99:
- SteelBook® – The game disc will be encased in a collectible SteelBook® emblazoned with the series’ fiery mainstay, Kyo Kusanagi, literally burning to fight.
- Art book – This 144-page art book will be filled with original character/stage drawings from throughout the series.
- 3-Disc Soundtrack – Those looking for an audio fix will be able to enjoy a three-disc soundtrack (housed in a gorgeous Mai Shiranui illustrated case) comprised of 60+ electric songs worthy of the greatest fighting tournament in the world.
- Collector’s Box – All the above items will be packaged in a scorching box adorned with familiar characters.Tell me that’s not sexy!I’ll keep you all posted on all the King of Fighters XIV news that comes my way. Until then, check out all the impressive footage Playstation has lined up for us fans!